This simple, yet delicious recipe originates from Basilicata – a region of forests and mountains in southern Italy.
Fun fact: It was also Luciano Pavarotti’s favourite pasta recipe.
1kg fresh tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
Salt & pepper
3 tbsp basil
Grated parmesan to serve with
- Peel and chop the tomatoes
- Fry the garlic in olive oil until it just begins to colour
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer 10-25 minutes (Pavarotti used to cook it for 10 minutes)
- Add the herbs just before serving
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water and then toss in the sauce
- Serve with grated parmesan